Saturday, August 22, 2009

Can I just say how incredibly awesome it is to be a mother? I knew it was going to be great, but I really didn't have anything to compare it to, you know? I used to get really excited over a new kitchen gadget or a beautiful pair of shoes or when Breyer's goes on sale for 2.27 a carton at Kroger (don't even get me started on that one) but that was all before I had a baby. That was before my world totally changed and I realized that Javi is the greatest gift God could have ever given me! It's really an unconditional love and pure happiness that nobody can truly know until they have seen it and felt it for themselves.

On Thursday, Javi turned 2.5 months. I can't believe he is that old! I also can't believe I've been doing this whole 'mom thing' for 2.5 months. The first weeks were so hard. We were both excited but also scared to death, not to mention sleep deprived far worse than college final exam week! I was also really clumsy. I always wondered how my mom could move with such finesse like those TV wives from the 50's. You know the type...prancing around in a dress, an apron and high heels while waving a feather duster through the air and basting a turkey. No, that was not me at all. Recovering from my C-section meant I was still figuring out how to walk around while deciding to permanently live in my hot pink sweatpants. Imagine....me, choosing to wear sweatpants. And did I mention that weeks went by before I'd even opened a compact or a tube of lipstick? Or how about the fact that I actually believe that I needed ten hours of sleep every night before he was born! And now, I can function just fine with only about five! Yes, this really was the beginning of a new life for me. And what's interesting is that none of those things even mattered. All that mattered was that my beautiful baby boy was healthy and happy.

Last weekend, we took Javi on his first road trip and it was a huge success! Never mind the fact that it took about five hours to load the car (how can something so small require so much stuff?) . We were just pleased that he napped for the entire ride. And once we got there, we had more than enough hands to hold and carry him. It was a very relaxing visit and a great chance to catch up with my family who we hadn't seen since he was two weeks old. It's just hard to believe now that I will be returning to work in less than two weeks. It makes me feel so sad to think that these wonderful twelve weeks with my new baby are about to come to an end. Well, not really an end...after all, he's not going anywhere and neither am I. But I think you know what I mean.

For now, I am just trying to soak up what's left of my time away from work and enjoy every single moment staring at his cute little face, watching him smile, and listening to his funny little voice babble mindlessly. These are now the things that really make life worth living!

No comments:

Post a Comment