Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Golden Shower

Don't you just LOVE it when you get into a routine? I mean, you can literally plan the clock around every little thing the baby does...nap....eat.....change diaper......nap....eat...change diaper....repeat. It's like choreography....and kick, ball-change, kick, ball-change, pivot, turn, pivot, turn...

And then something throws everything off. Someone trips during the kick line and sends everyone toppling over like dominoes. Yeah, I felt like that the other day. Here I was, feeding Javi during Rachael Ray like I do every day and then he decides to soil his diaper while I'm feeding him. It was soiled to the point that he couldn't even focus on eating. He just kept glaring at me like 'Mom, do something!' So in mid-feed, I stop what I'm doing and carry him to the nursery to change him. No problem there. It takes about ten minutes but I had him in and out pretty fast and then back to the feeding. But apparently he just wasn't finished with his business! So here we go again...another badly soiled diaper to the point of him just not wanting to eat (not that I could blame him...my appetite would have been ruined by that point too). And here we go, back to the nursery, yet again.

Well, for anyone that doesn't know what it's like to change a baby boy's diaper, there's a whole balancing act that goes along with it. Eric calls it 'the loaded weapon.' While taking one diaper off, you have to guard him with something to avoid being sprayed by the golden shower and somehow slide in the clean diaper. It's like a magic trick almost. When you do it enough, you get a little brave and sometimes leave it completely uncovered for longer than you should. And that's how I am...I get comfortable with something, and then confident (dare I say, cocky?) and then it always comes back to bite me later! And at that moment, there came the shower. And not on the wall like usual where I can just wipe it down with some 409. Nope. My kid has some real talent. He managed to pee...right in his hair! So I seal up the diaper, only to notice that he had also managed to get it on his face, clothes, and changing table. Awesome. So now I have to strip him, stick his head in the sink to wash his hair, change his clothes, and put a new changing pad on the table. What should have taken about ten minutes took about 45 minutes when it was all said and done. And, did I forget to mention, he was still hungry??!!

I think I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment