For the longest time, every time I would pass someone, they would always ask ‘Can you feel the baby yet?’
I was always a little bummed when I had nothing to share with them.
‘No, not yet…probably any day now’ was my usual reply.
And then it happened!
I had made it to my 21-week mark and was sitting on the couch one night, watching re-runs of Friends and had been wondering to myself when am I ever going to feel the baby move? And then, there it was. Well, really at that moment, I didn’t know what it was. It was an odd sort of tapping….almost a little tiny pitter-patter. Was that the baby? I wasn’t sure but then, there it was again, only in a different part of my stomach.
And then, again and again.
Okay, surely I wasn't imagining things now! I was so excited, I really didn’t know what to do! I started yelling to Eric ‘He’s moving! He’s moving!’ and of course, Eric put his hand on my tummy but felt nothing. I probably freaked out the baby with all the yelling and excitement. Oops. He was very still for a couple hours, but then he started up again later that night when I got in bed that night. And then it continued on and off the next day.
It was especially amusing when I was at work. It was a nice little distraction. In fact, I found it so charming and comforting, as though it was a little reminder from him saying Hi Mom, I’m still here. Eventually Eric was able to feel it too, with a little patience (evidently, our baby doesn’t like to be put on the spot). Certain things will really get him moving too. Lately, I’ll put the headphones up to my tummy so he can hear music and he really starts bouncing around after that. He seems to really like country, especially Keith Urban and Little Big Town!
Over the next couple of days, he went from making little shy movements to more bold ones. And it really made me wonder….what exactly do they do in there? I told Eric that I was sure he was building a birdhouse or something. It really felt like there had to be some hammering and drilling going on in there! Other days, he reminded me of a ping-pong ball, bouncing back and forth…back and forth. Eric really thinks we’re getting a soccer player now!
And with all the bouncing and jumping around, I’m starting to think…maybe he’s right?!
No comments:
Post a Comment