Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some Guacamole to Go With Your Doughnuts, Ma'am?

So what is with the whole craving of foods thing? I thought when you were pregnant, there were one or two things that you wanted day and night and those were the things you should just keep on hand. Pickles and ice cream maybe? Is this just a jar of pickles and a carton of icecream? or are you supposed to mix the two? Maybe turn it into a DQ Blizzard or something? My cravings have been all over the place. First, I just ate everything in sight. It really didn't matter what it was or how much I actually liked it to begin with, but if it was food, I would devour it, no questions asked.

Then I went through a phase where food absolutely repulsed me. You could dangle a steak and baked potato or a slab of chocolate cake in front of me and I just wanted to heave. I actually did away with meat for a while and tried the whole vegetarian thing because I hated meat that much! And chicken was in a category all its own. One whiff of poultry....fried, grilled, roasted, whatever....and I just wanted to jump out the window because the nausea was so bad! I had to start looking for another way to get my protein. I had always expected vegan food would taste terrible until I got desperate enough to try the house veggie burger at Houston's one night and thought I'd gone to heaven - it was that good! So that started my next kick....stocking up at Trader Joe's and Harry's Farmer's Market with some really odd-sounding foods that just tasted divine: meatless corndogs (yes, really), Tex-Mex black bean burgers...even chicken-less chicken nuggets (yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds), just to name a few. It was like an adventure! An expensive adventure (we're taking about $5-$6 for four measly corndogs), but an adventure nonetheless.

Then I would have nights where I found myself dreaming about food. My mom suggested that maybe this was because eating had become such a frustration for me. Perhaps this was true. I dreamed one night that I had gone to Dunkin' Donuts and was delighted to pick out the dozen in my variety box....blueberry...toasted coconut....chocolate frosted with sprinkles.....ahhhhh....and then the guy filling my box of doughnuts walked away for a second and never came back!!! I spent the rest of my dream running around Dunkin' Dounuts trying to find this guy so he could finish my order. What a nightmare it turned into! I woke up in a cold sweat...well, I was really only half awake....and woke Eric up to tell him that it was really important that he bought me some doughnuts. I think he mumbled something and rolled over. But that's where one of my cravings stemmed from....the Doughnut Craze.

Then I went through Nacho Mayheim where all I wanted was an order of Super Nachos from Willy's. I thought about them all the time.....especially the way they got nachos nice and toasted and crispy...with melted cheese and guacamole and all sorts of wonderful things. That lasted for a long time.....till they accidentally gave me fresh (not pickled) jalapenos on my nachos and I had heartburn for days. OOOhhh, that was NOT a good week! Another week all I wanted were Tostones (flattened, fried green plantains) and my mother-in-law came to the rescue fast. I've found that Puerto Ricans take cravings very seriously! All I had to do was tell Brenda that I was having an antojo for something and she would drop what she was doing, cold in her tracks, and run to the store. Talk about first class service! Mexican food was another and still is. We eat at La Parrilla once a week so I can get my fix. No other Mexican restaraunt will suffice! Today? I woke up and was determined to go to Sonic for a bacon cheeseburger, onion rings and a milkshake. I haven't been to Sonic in over a year but something inside of me told me that's what I needed to eat. What a husband I have...he made sure we stopped there first before running errands today and boy oh boy, did it taste fantastic!

Don't get me wrong though. I still eat my share of fruits and vegetables and try to keep the fried, fatty stuff down to a minimum. For those of you who remember what a stickler I was to 'Body for Life', you know how strange it sounds for me to eat anything with sugar, salt, grease, saturated fat, etc. And believe me, once the baby is born and I can get back into my nutrition & fitness regime, I'll be back on 'Body for Life' and working like a machine to get my body back.


But for now, this is actually kind of fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment