Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bits and Pieces




Okay, so I don't really have one specific story to share right now, but I do have a number of 'snippits' from the past several weeks.


Saturday 4/4/09

Eric's mom, sister and grandma threw me a beautiful baby shower! We had a house-full and the greatest time. Eric and I received so many incredible gifts. A huge kudos to Frances who made the shower cake. It was her first shower cake ever and looked like it belonged in a bakery window!


Saturday 4/18/09

I had my much anticipated baby shower remote broadcast at Baby's Room Norcross. Kicks 101.5 promoted it for several months and gave our pregnant listeners a chance to win their way into the shower. 30 winners came out to the event and were awarded prenatal gift bags and a nice lunch from Panera Bread. The store owners weren't sure what we should do to keep the winners entertained, so I sat down with them and told them pregnancy stories and let them share theirs. And for two hours, we talked and laughed and had a blast. I really think that's what pregnant women enjoy....talking and having someone listen...especially if it's someone who can totally relate!


Thursday 4/23/09

Regular checkup at the OBGYN. Well, sort of regular...I was weighed and measured - the normal routine. Then my doctor poked at my stomach and said "where do you think the head is?" I thought nothing of it and pointed up high near my rib cages. "Yup" he said "the baby is breech." Okay, not at all what I was expecting! I've known all along where his head was located but it never actually occurred to me that at 33 weeks, maybe his head should be located somewhere else. Dr. Donnelly told me not to worry but said if he didn't move into the proper position soon, we'd have to do a C-section. Let's just say that's not at all what I was planning on. But then again, why should that matter to my baby? Eric has decided to give him nightly 'pep talks' to motivate him into changing positions. It's really cute, but so far he won't budge! It will be very interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.


Friday 5/1/09

We had the traditional Friday evening of watching a moving at home. Well, except for the fact that it wasn't a 'traditional' movie. Since we opted to not sign up for birth classes, we decided to order a couple childbirth videos from Netflix. The first series was pretty disgusting, to put it nicely. The video was produced in the 70s and these had to be the most unnattractive women I've ever seen in my life. I've also never seen so much blood before. We were both pretty appalled. The second video was made in early 2000 and a lot easier to stomach. The highlight of the night was when Eric painted my toenails. Since I can't bend over to paint them anymore, he volunteered to do it. And I have to say, he did a really professional job - base coat, two coats of polish and a top coat. Guess all those years of painting model airplanes and cars finally paid off!


Saturday 5/2/09

Our 'baby weekend' continued when we took our scheduled hospital tour at Northside Hospital. I have a feeling that hospitals have come a long way since our moms gave birth, from what I've been told. The labor and delivery wing resembled a hotel more than a hospital. And the atrium reminded me of Pentagon City mall! And seriously, how many hospitals have a Starbucks and a McDonald's inside? Maybe this is the new trend in hospitals across the country, but this was certainly the first I've seen of it. The tour was great and definitely made the whole experience seem that much more 'real.' Only about 6 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment